Become a mentor
Become a mentor and be part of a woman entrepreneur’s business success story.
Our flagship Mentoring Women in Business programme matches women entrepreneurs in low and middle-income countries with experienced, dedicated businesspeople in any country. In pairs, they work together for 12 months, with the mentor helping the mentee to achieve her business goals, as well as build her wealth, independence, and financial security.
Becoming a mentor offers business professionals the chance to play a pivotal role in an entrepreneur’s business growth at a critical stage of her business.
You could find yourself working with a shoe designer from Vietnam, a shop owner from Pakistan, a wine producer from South Africa or a travel agency owner from Kenya.
By sharing your business knowledge with a woman entrepreneur, you’ll support her to boost her confidence, improve her business performance, develop and add to her skills, and have a significant impact on her life, family, community and beyond.
We welcome mentors from many different backgrounds and value every prospective mentor’s interest in the programme.
Applications to become a mentor are currently closed, but open again for our May 2022 intake on 7 March. Register your interest in becoming a mentor now by using the form below.
Register your interest in the Mentoring Women in Business programme
Of our 2020 graduating mentors...
100% gained new skills which fed back into & enhanced their own work
91% gained benefits to their personal & professional development
86% were either satisfied or very satisfied
Through collaborating with a mentor, we see women entrepreneurs regularly:
- Increase the revenue and profits of their businesses
- Create jobs and opportunities in their communities
- Become pioneering leaders, change-makers and role models
Mentoring has developed me as a person. It’s a two-way success story of personal growth for the mentor while helping the mentee realise her dream.
This enjoyable, engaging process has rich benefits for mentors, enabling you to:
- Develop and deepen your leadership, active listening, and communication skills
- Learn about different cultures, professional backgrounds, sectors or industries
- Create impact by empowering and releasing the potential of women entrepreneurs
- Contribute to rebuilding economies post-COVID-19
- Understand the challenges that women entrepreneurs in low and middle-income countries face
- Inspire and motivate others, playing a crucial and lasting role in the development of a business
Participants who successfully complete the programme also receive a certificate from Cherie Blair CBE QC, access to useful resources, our online community, and more.
Mentors must be…
- A business professional, of any gender, with at least 7 years’ experience in business
- Either a member of one of our corporate partners’ workforce or able to self-fund to participate independently
- Fluent in English
- Able to commit to the programme for twelve months
- Willing and able to share their expertise and experiences with a woman entrepreneur to launch, develop or grow her business
Mentors are expected to…
- Meet online with their mentee for two hours minimum per month, for a year
- Undergo two to three hours of pre-matching training
- Complete interim and end-of-programme
- Adhere to our Mentoring Women in Business programme Code of Conduct
There are three ways to join the programme as a mentor:
- As a member of the workforce of one of our corporate partners
- As an independent, self-funded mentor: independent mentors self-fund their match, which is £1,100 for both their own and their mentee’s participation
- As a scholarship mentor: woman entrepreneurs who are alumni of our programmes can apply for a scholarship to have their place match-funded
If you meet the selection criteria and are not applying within our application window, please fill out the form below to express your interest in becoming a mentor, and we will be back in touch when we are next accepting application to join the programme to ask you to apply.
Once our application window is open, the next step is to complete the online application form, which takes around 20 minutes.
During our application window, we aim to process and respond back to applications within seven working days.
If you have any technical issues, get in touch with us.
Download and read the following before applying:
What's it like to be a mentor?
Listen to our Mentoring team's Jetske van Dijk chatting to mentor Tim Allitt, Issuance Product Manager at PayPal, for a good overview of Tim's experiences of the programme, why it's such a valuable opportunity for mentors and their companies, and how a mentoring relationship might play out!
Read about the experiences of former mentors and mentees:
Van has been both a mentee and a mentor for our Mentoring Woman in Business programme between 2014-2017.
Maria and Sristhi’s story
Maria was a mentee, and Sristhi was a mentor, on the Mentoring Women in Business programme from 2020-2021.
Independent mentors’ stories
We wanted to introduce you to some of the independent mentors starting on the programme, and share their motivations for taking part…